Hymn of Christ Words & Music by Carson Li @KEC Worship
Managing Rage and Hatred in Parenting
- When our kids are in trouble, we will go the extra mile and seek the best solution for them.
- There is nothing wrong to help our kids when they are in trouble.
- But when are we willing to give our kids a chance to deal with their emotions on their own?
- If we always try solving problems for them, when will they learn problem-solving on their own?
- Besides secular resources, is there anything unique from the Bible about managing anger?
- When we are being treated unfairly, we would let our thoughts & actions be reflexes to what people say and what people do to us.
- When we turn from anger to rage and hatred, our natural reaction would be to fight back.
- But when we take revenge, the problem is not solved.
- If we hate someone back, evil is getting the victory and is overcoming us
Do Not Be Overcome by Evil
- Being overcome by evil is not the only way out
- three crucial reminders from Paul
- DO NOT repay evil for evil (Romans 12:17)
- DO NOT avenge yourselves (Romans 12:19)
- DO NOT be overcome by evil (Romans 12:21)
- At the moment when we are angry, the idea of vengeance would cross our mind
- But the Bible states clearly that vengeance is not ours but God's, and only belongs to God
- God will have the last word, NOT the enemy.
Example of Jesus
- When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. (1 Peter 2:23)
- When the people brought insults at Jesus, He did not retaliate
- He overcame evil by doing for us what we could not do for ourselves
- Based on what Jesus has done, we do have a choice
- We can overcome evil with good, and become overcomers
- Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- We do have a choice - to choose to do what is right.
- We do have a choice - to let our love triumph over the enemy.
- When we overcome evil with good, we can break the cycle of anger and hatred.
- When we show love and kindness to those who have been unkind to us, God wins.
Three Tough Questions
- For parents to go through with our children when anger and rage come
- How can we pray?
- How can we bless?
- What can we do?
Only King Forever
Words & Music by Steven Furtick, Chris Brown, Wade Joye & Mack Brock
Hymn of Christ
Words & Music by Carson Li@KEC Worship
Words and Music by Brooke Ligertwood
Words & Music by Aodhan King & Ben Fielding