We live in a golden age of science and technology where it seems like all problems have a solution.
- We were able to develop the COVID 19 vaccine within a year of the outbreak
- We are developing different medication and treatments for diabetes, ALS, depression, all of which are new discoveries in 2022
- We have solutions for work and productivity in computer and AI
- We have solutions for energy in fusion ignition
- We have solutions for protection in the form of NASA Dart Mission
- We have solutions for discoveries and exploration in the James Webb Space Telescope
All of humanity’s problem will eventually have a solution, all questions will eventually have an answer.
The question that a church needs to ask itself, then, is:
Why do we need the church?
Why do you need the church?
We believe that the church is the hope of the world.
Apostle Paul paints the necessity of the church in Ephesians 4-5.
Through the church…
- Thieves will no longer steal, they will do honest work and share with those in need.
- A person who is filled with hurtful talk will no longer have corrupting talk, instead will give thanks and build others up with their speech.
- A drunkard will no longer drink, be filled with the Spirit and live a purposeful life loving those around him.
This transformation is why the church is needed. There is no other place, no other institution, no other organization in this world that turns a broken human being into a new perfect person.
Apostle Paul describes this process like this:
You must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds… that is not the way you learned Christ… assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. (Ephesians 4:17, 21-24)
Jesus’ purpose for the church is not to solve all the problems of humanity, it is to create a new perfect humanity.
Let us attend church with the attitude to be transformed.