Two Months from Black Friday
- Do you think you will be more joyful, more satisfied, and more thankful on Jan 29th, 2020 than you’ve been on November 29th, 2019 (Black Friday/Cyber Monday)?
- Or, will you will be frustrated that you don’t have the time to open the packages and the energy to get things organized? Will you grumble because your apartment is no longer big enough for your family?
Wisdom from someone who had it all
- What a life! (Ecclesiastes 5:10-14; 2:1-11)
- Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity. (Ecclesiastes 1:1)
Cycle of Desires and Disappointments
- “Vanity" is when you join the dots and see a line.
- It is the endless cycle of desires and disappointments.
- The endless pursuit extending to the end of your life is called Vanity.
Can’t You See?
- It’s folly! (Isaiah 44:6-20)
- God’s invitation: I made you; I shaped you; Come back to me. (Isaiah 44:21-22)
God pleads with his people
(1) To renounce the no-god idols in the world (Isaiah 55:1-2)
- Renounce your idols. Stop chasing after vanity.
- Remind yourself – "I have enough stuff. In fact I have more than enough – I have excess."
- Renounce the urge to buy more. Renounce the desire to upgrade.
- Renounce the no-god idols that have occupied our heart, our mind, and our time. (Including money, work, relationship etc.)
(2) Re-tune your whole being to pursue God (Isaiah 55:3,6,7)
- It takes a re-tuning process to return to God.
- Incline your ear – to listen to a different voice.
- Redirect your sight – to seek the One True God.
- Call on His name only.
- Turn and leave the path of vanity.
- Change your mind. Cut ties with the no-gods.
- Return to the Lord - the only One who can give us lasting joy and satisfaction.