Self-preservation prayers is presenting our needs and desires to God. Asking him ...
- To grant us what we need
- To turn a difficult circumstance around
- To solve our problems
- To resolve conflicts
- To keep us safe
- To protect us from calamities
- To heal our sickness
- To provide us with comfort
- To give us opportunities
- To bless our families
- So that we may live long and prosper
Gentiles are experts in self-centred, self-serving, self-preservation prayers.
Disciples should seek God’s kingdom first because they trust that God knows what they need. (Matthew 6:32-33)
Sons and Daughters Prayer
"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, you will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:9-10)
- This sermon series is as much about falling in love as it is about praying.
- To pray is to enter the Father’s heart.
- To pray is to come home.
- To pray is to let go of all the bargains, trade deals, and contracts you thought you have made with God.
- To pray is to re-nurture a long-lost relationship with the Heavenly Father.
- To pray is to fall in love with your Creator all over again.
Promise to Sons and Daughters
- Ask for His kingdom, and it will be given to you.
- Seek Him, and you will find.
- The Father’s heart is open wide. Knock, and the door will be opened to you. (Luke 11:9)
- Why should we pray like the Gentiles when we could have prayed like sons and daughters?
Case Study: Mary’s Story (Luke 1:26-37)
- The affirmation: Do not be afraid, for you have found favour with God
- The promise: For nothing will be impossible with God
- The response: Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be tome according to your word.
- Mary’s simple one-line prayer of consent would lead to one thousand other miracles in her lifetime.
- What if you make a commitment today to pray everyday?
- What if you make a commitment to not just come to God for stuff, but with a heart and a desire to know him more?
- What if you make a commitment to seek His kingdom first and trust that your life will be taken care of?
- What if you learn to pray like Mary? “Let it be to me according to your word.”
- What if you make a commitment today to pray this prayer at every difficult situation you will encounter in 2019?
- Why should you pray like a Gentile when you could have be praying like a son or a daughter?