Three reasons why it is unwise for a Christian to lie:
(1) Lying (deception) is dumb because the underlying assumption is a lie
– The assumption that we can get away with lying is a lie. God is all-knowing. (Psalm 139:1-4)
(2) Lying (deception) is dumb because we are giving up our true identity
– The more we lie, the more we mess with our memory.
– The more we mess with our memory, the harder it is to maintain a true identity.
– Our true identity is light in the Lord. We are children of light. (Ephesians 5:8-11)
(3) Lying (deception) is dumb because it is demonic
– And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; Anything more than this comes from the evil one. (Matthew 5:36-37)
– You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He (the devil) … does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. (John 8:44)
– The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in people who are trustworthy. (Proverbs 12:22 NIV)
Three ways to quit deception and lying:
(1) Clarify your belief
– ACTION: Confess your sins to one another
– If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:8-9)
(2) Guard your identity
– ACTION: Disassociate yourself from deceivers
– Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. (Ephesians 5:11)
(3) Renew your allegiance
– ACTION: Renounce lying. Renounce deception.
– For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons (and daughters), by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” (Romans 8:15)