When Pauls comes to Koinonia
- What if someone with only 182 days to live comes to church, what would we say to her?
- How does our gospel connect with her situation?
Lord, he whom you love is ill
- Jesus received the news that Lazarus, brother of Mary and Martha was sick
- But when Jesus finally arrived at Bethany, Lazarus has died for four days
- Jesus and Martha Martha: “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”
- Jesus declared:
- Your brother will rise again.
- I am the resurrection and the life.
- Whoever believes in me, though he dies, yet shall he live.
- Everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.
- Jesus was encouraging Martha to believe in something more than just a general idea about resurrection at the last day.
- Jesus wanted her to believe that Jesus Himself is the resurrection and life.
- Death does not have the final word.
- He is the true giver of eternal life.
Jesus and Mary
- Mary fell at the feet of Jesus and told Jesus: “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”
- When Jesus saw Mary weeping and the many Jews coming along also weeping, He was deeply moved / indignant in his spirit and greatly troubled.
- Facing a situation full of sadness, Jesus was not oblivious.
- Jesus wept - the Son of God - shed tears.
- Jesus was also outraged because of death.
- Death is not the way God made the creation in the first place.
Jesus and Lazarus
- Jesus came to the tomb, ordered the stone to be taken away from the entrance.
- Jesus then cried out with a loud voice: “Lazarus, come out”
- For Martha, Mary and the Jews, a miracle happened in front of their eyes.
Death has lost its grip on our lives
because Jesus is the life and resurrection
- Jesus’ invitation: to acknowledge Him as the true life giver of life.
- Eternal Life is available for you, are you ready to receive it?