The higher the expectation, the greater the disappointment.
- You face a challenge
- You offer an honest prayer
- You develop an expectation of what God should do
- God doesn’t meet it
- You are disappointed
This happens to Mary and Martha as well in John 11.
- Everyone expects Jesus to come to heal him
- But Jesus did not show up
- Jesus was late
But God shows us that he may not meet our expectations, because he works beyond all expectations.
- By raising Lazarus from the dead, Jesus showed that God’s work is not limited by what we expect him to do.
- And by raising Lazarus, his disciples, Mary and Martha believed in Him - that He is the resurrection and the life.
- And through all these, God brought glory out of a seemingly impossible, unredeemable situation.
And today, we can take heart when we are going through the same tough, seemingly unredeemable situation:
- God may not meet our expectations, but God works beyond all expectations.
- We can trust him
And in the meantime, we can pray to God with an open-heart, and wait for God with an open-mind.
- Open-heart: honest, sincerely lift up to God your prayer
- Open-mind: Expect God to work beyond your expectations