What we believe and our understanding about God - His character, attributes, and works gives us the ultimate guidance of who we are, what we do, and who we will become.
The most important thing about a person is what comes to mind
when they think about God.
A.W. Tozer, Knowledge of the Holy
The Unity of God
- We should not think of God as some kind of collection of various attributes added together. God is not separated into different parts.
- It must be understood that God’s character is always consistent with ALL of His attributes operating in unity.
- All attributes of God are constant, unified, never compromise, and never separated.
- Scripture Reference: Romans 1:18, 21, 28; 2:2-5; 3:10-12, 19, 23; 5:6-9
God's love is never compromised by anger. The presence of anger does not mean the absence of love - particularly in God. Love is God's character, not simply an emotion.
David Benner, Surrender to Love
No attribute can be singled out as more important. It is God himself in his whole being who is supremely important. And it is God himself in his whole being whom we are to seek, to know and to love.
Wayne Grudem, Systematic Theology
The Immutability of God
God does not change. Theologians refer to this attribute of God as the Immutability of God.
God does not change … not only in his Being, but also in his perfections (that is, his attributes or the various aspects of his character), and in his purposes and promises.
A. His Being does not change
Scripture Reference: Psalm 102:26-27
Everyday something about us physically is changing, but this is not so with God. In His essential being God is always the same.
B. His Attributes do not change
Scripture Reference: James 1:17
In the course of human life, our characters and/or temperament may change radically according to our experience. It’s part of what makes us human. It is not, however, what God does.
The attribute of God is today, and always will be, exactly what it was in Bible times.
C. His Purposes do not change
Scripture Reference: Isaiah 46:9-11
What God established before the foundation of the earth as the purpose of human history will inevitably come to pass. No opposition can change that!
What God does in time, He planned from eternity. And all that He planned in eternity, He carries out in time. And all that he has in his Word committed himself to do will infallibly be done. No part of His eternal plan changes.
J.I. Packer, Knowing God
D. His Promises do not change
Scripture Reference: Genesis 17-18
God does not change His promises. Once He has promised something, He will not be unfaithful to that promise.
The Trustworthiness of God
Why is God Trustworthy?
1. God is trustworthy because He is all good
2. God is trustworthy because He is righteous and just
3. God is trustworthy because He is holy
4. God is trustworthy because He is all powerful
5. God is trustworthy because He is unity
6. God is trustworthy because He is unchanging
7. God is trustworthy because He is all knowing
8. God is trustworthy because He is full of wisdom
9. God is trustworthy because He gives His own son for us
10. God is trustworthy because He is committed to love you with His eternal love
He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Romans 8:32
God has given us His only precious begotten Son for us while we were still sinners. That’s the ultimate, most precious gift of all. God is committed to love you with His eternal love and nothing can separate us from His eternal love.
God So Loved
Words & Music by Ed Cash, Franni Cash, Martin Cash, Scott Cash & Andrew Bergthold
Words and Music by Chris Tomlin and Ed Cash
Do It Again
Words & Music by Steven Furtick, Matt Redman, Chris Brown and Mack Brock