- It is just human nature to be wanted to be served, to be treated as royalties.
- We do not expect someone with great power or authority to perform acts of kindness such as serving others.
- We certainly would never expect a God that would do this kind of thing.
- When we think of God, we would often think of a Superior being who is waiting to be served. He exists to rule over us and to demand us to follow his ways.
Jesus -The Upside Down Servant God
- But Jesus came and said: "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Mark 10:45)
- What Jesus says turned the world and expectation of the people at that time upside down.
- Jesus illustrated this by washing his disciples' feet. (John 13:1-17)
- Jesus was gathering with his twelve disciples for one final supper just before the Passover.
- None of the disciples was willing to wash each others' feet because no one wants to be a servant.
- Jesus got up and demonstrated how to be a servant. He changed his clothes into a servant’s outfit. (John 13:4)
- Jesus humbled himself to take up the work of a slave.
- Jesus’ life is full of service to others.
- Jesus loves to serve and He serves to love
- Jesus came to serve and he encourages us to follow his example of service (John 13:15)
- As Christians, we are called to serve others as Jesus served.
- According to Jesus, we will be blessed if we serve others just as Jesus has served (John 13:17)
- In the upside-down kingdom of God, greatness is measured by how many people you have served.
- Serving others helps us change from self-centered to others-centered and to put others' needs above our needs.
- Let us follow Jesus' example of serving others and bring His upside-down kingdom to this world.
O Come All Ye Faithful (His name shall be)
Original Translation & Music by C. Frederick Oakeley, John Francis Wade
Addt'l. Words & Music by Kristian Stanfill and JD Myers
What A Beautiful Name
Words and Music by Ben Fielding and Brooke Ligertwood
Words & Music by Chris Brown, Mack Brock, Steven Furtick
More Like Jesus
Words & Music by Brett Younker, Brooke Ligertwood, Kristian Stanfill, Scott Ligertwood