From FIT FOR LESS to STEVE NASH FITNESS, our culture loves working out. We spend a lot of our time and resources to maintain our physical wellness. We also pay much attention to our emotional wellness. But when it comes to the soul, we have neither the method nor the resolve to keep fit.
The Soul: the Carrier of the Living Breath of God
- The soul is the whole of the person, the unity of the body, organs and breath.
- In Genesis 2:7, when the breath of God entered Adam's nostrils, he finally became a living soul.
- This living soul is special, because it is the carrier of the breath of the living God.
- Being created as special carriers of God's breath, how do we make sure the breath of life is kept alive within us ?
Psalms as the Handbook for Soul Workout
- The Psalms trained the Israelites to know God’s name, His character, and His work.
- It shaped them into a people of faith, who reflected His image and glory.
- The Psalms equipped them to become healthy carriers of the God’s living breath.
Story Behind the Song (34:1-3)
- In the beginning Psalms 34, David praised God and took pride in God.
- He also invited others to join him, to magnify God and exalt His name together.
- There was a story behind why David was praising God continually.
- In 1 Samuel 19, David was running from Saul, who vowed to kill him out of jealousy.
- David ran to Gath and tried to seek refuge.
- After his identity was being recognized, he tried to get out by pretending to be insane.
- The king of Gath really thought that he was a madman, and David was kicked out.
Recalling what the Lord has done (34:4-7)
- In the midst of all the chaotic moments, how did David keep himself sane?
- Instead of just complaining, David recalled what the Lord has done in his life.
- God delivered him from all his fears, heard his cry, and saved him out of all the troubles.
Taste and See the Goodness of God (34:8-10)
- From v.8-10, we learned about why God answered and delivered David.
- It is because of the goodness of God.
- It implies that there is no evil in Him and He stands against evil.
- Because of His goodness, God delivers His people from the hands of the evil ones.
Setting apart from evil (34:11-14)
- In response to what the Lord has done, David set himself apart from evil.
- He kept his tongue from evil. He turned away from evil and sided with God.
- He chose to do good and did not compromise with the evil people.
A healthy carrier of the God’s living breath, is one who has learned from life experience that God is good, and continuously turn away from evil and do good.
As carrier of God’s living breath, here are three exercises for Soul Workout:
- We choose to reclaim our God-given senses
- We choose to turn away from evil
- We choose to side with God and do good
Restore my soul, revive my heart.
Renew my life in every part.
Reveal to me what sin remains.
Then lead me to the cross again.