The gospel of Jesus Christ is about:
- He came
- He died
- He has risen
- He is living
- He will come again
- If we believe in this gospel and receive this Jesus into our heart, he will change our lives.
- This sermon series will help Christians to understand the significance of Jesus and facilitate a life transformation.
One challenge that many Christians face is that we know the gospel story well. But we have not figured out the significance of Jesus and his ministry.
- Is Jesus God?
- Who is Jesus?
- Why is Jesus necessary?
The Doctrine of the Incarnation
God’s only Son, the second person of the Holy Trinity, was made flesh, and lived on earth as fully God and fully human.
- "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14)
- The reason why this must be so is that Jesus was making God known to us.
- "No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known." (John 1:18 NIV)
- The theologian N.T. Wright has this insight: "You could say that at the heart of the Christian faith is the view, not that Jesus is more or less like God, or part of God, but that the being we refer to as ‘God’ was, and is, fully present, and fully discoverable, in and as Jesus of Nazareth."
The God made known by Jesus
- Jesus healed the leper (Mark 1:40-42)
- Jesus opened the eyes of the blind men (Matthew 20:29-34)
- Jesus fed the four thousand (Mark 8:1-9)
- Jesus raised the widow’s son (Luke 7:11-15)
- Summary of Jesus’ ministry (Matthew 9:35-36)
- The God whom Jesus has revealed is gracious and compassionate. He is a God who cares about us deeply.
How do we think about God?
- A.W. Tozer wrote: "What comes into our mind when we think about God is the most important thing about us… Were we able to extract from any person a complete answer to the question, “What comes into your mind when you think about God?” We might predict with certainty the spiritual future of that person.”
- Jesus was God incarnated. He had made known to us a God who is gracious and compassionate.
- "He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.” (Psalm 103:10-13)
Will you change your mind about God?
- God is filled with compassion when He looks upon you. He cares about you deeply.
- Will you turn to him?
- Will you talk to him?