Culture of Lies
- We are living in a world where lying is prevalent, common, and widely accepted.
- Many people including Christians live by the motto: “A little lie does not hurt anybody”
- As long as you don’t get caught, and nobody gets hurt, lives move on.
- What is the big deal?
Lying is a big deal
- If you are a Christian, lying should be a big deal for you because it is a big deal to God.
- Lying is a big deal to God. In fact, God hates lying (Proverbs 6:16-19)
- The Bible tells us that Satan is the father of lies and deception.
- Jesus warned us about the true character of Satan in John 8:44 "...He (Satan) was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies."
- Satan’s main mandate and motto is to bring us and this world destruction through lies and deception.
- Other than "Lying is OK" , we are further being deceived by the greatest lie of all: "Sinning is OK"
- Theologian RC Sproul reminded us that “Not until we take God seriously will we ever take sin seriously.”
- Let us be reminded that our God is a loving God but He is also a just God.
- Lying is NOT ok because God hates it.
- Lying has dire eternal consequence - Jesus told us that we will be condemned according to what we have said on the day of Judgment. Lies and deception are weapons of mass destruction. Lies will destroy you and everything that you ever care.
Truth as weapon against Lies
- Is there anything we can do to counter this persuasive lying habit?
- God hates liars but he is pleased with those who tell the truth. (Proverbs 12:22)
- Paul echoes this in Ephesians 4:29 "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."
- The key to overcoming lies and deception is when we recognize that we have the responsibility to build up those around us when we speak.
- Lies destruct but Truth build ups
- Christians should be the master of words because we have the Gospel. The Gospel is the truth that will build people up.
- Christians have the weapon to tip the balance of power in this world when we actually build someone up with our words (analogy of guerrilla fighters).
- This is a war that is already won because of what Jesus has done on the cross - His death and His resurrection.
- Speaking the truth in love to build up others is the weapon against lies and deception.
Questions to ponder
- Are you going to be a destroyer (lies) or a builder (truth) of people when it comes to using your words?
- Would you accept God's invitation of repentance and joining the war of fighting lies and deception with your words of truth?