Jesus taught his disciples, “You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
The key to understand the kingdom of God
- The greatest virtue of God’s kingdom is not power but service.
- Jesus’ earthly ministry can be summed up in two words – “to serve” and “to give.” (Mark 10:45)
· Giving is the essence of God. Serving is the dominant culture of His Kingdom.
· This is why Christians, Christ’s followers, must learn to serve others. Not because there is anything superior or inherently good about service, but because it is the fundamental posture of the Lord.
(1) In what ways will you need to unlearn the worldly ways of rulership?
(2) How can you follow the Lord’s way of servanthood, to give more and serve many in 2019?